09 January 2011


I've put a challenge before myself, which I began working on this week... Trying to replicate a quilt I made last year, but using a different inspiration fabric, different palette, and different scale. I am in love with this Philip Jacobs print, Daffodils and Dogwood, and have been hoarding it in several colorways. This bright, sunny yellow is least like my usual taste in colors (I'm generally an earth-tone or saturated brights person), and therefore screamed to me to try it first!

So, I spent about a day just gathering fabrics from my plentiful stash that might coordinate nicely (though I still have my doubts about a few), and cutting strips from them. When I did the original quilt, I used all 2" strips, and the blocks turned out to be a perfect size, but this time I've tried varying the width of the strips, and am getting much smaller blocks - not so happy with that choice, but it will work. Learning process, right? After putting together a good portion of the blocks, I still have a few strips left to work with, though think I need to fill in with more light yellows and pinks.


It's been nice to start something new just to be working on it. However, next week might need to be dedicated to more salable items.

No comments:

Post a Comment